Sunday, February 5, 2012

North Greenford United



North Greenford United FC are a non league football club from Greenford, which is in the west of London. United were formed in 1944 by Mr Alf Timpson, originally as a youth side, before a senior team was added in 1947.

The club played in local leagues and cup competitions for many years until becoming members of the Middlesex League. 'The Blues' won that league's title in 1983 and gained promotion into the Spartan League. Within five seasons they progressed to the premier division, but in 1995 United chose to return to the Middlesex League.













The club were keen to rebuild and by 2002 they had installed floodlights at their Berkeley Fields home, regained senior status and joined the Combined Counties League. Steve Ringrose, a successful manager who had taken neighbours Hillingdon Borough all the way to the FA Vase final a few years previously took over as team manager prior to the 2008-09 season and led the side to a runners up position. The following season United went one better, lifting the title and promotion to the Southern League.

The club's intention was consolidation and this was achieved as well as lifting the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup after defeating Enfield Town in the final. Ringrose left the club in December 2011 and was replaced by former Premier League striker Neil Shipperley.

North Greenwich United FC will compete in the Southern League Division One Central in the 2013-14 season.












My visits

Friday 20th October 2006

I had the day off from work and had decided to do a bit of groundhopping and photography around West London. After visiting Yeading, Hayes and Hanwell Town I took the Central line to Greenford and then walked across Horsenden Hills playing fields before eventually finding the entrance to the ground.

The gate was open so I walked past the clubhouse and changing rooms, which were located behind the goal to view the scene.

Berkeley Fields was more than adequate for the Combined Counties League, with a small modern seated stand behind one goal, and a small cover down one touchline. The reast of the ground consisted of open flat grass and a hard standing path around the playing area.













I walked back out to Greenford Road and found a bus to take me to my next port of call, Earlsmead the home of Harrow Borough.

North Greenford United 1 Ashford Town (Middx) 1 (Saturday 31st December 2011) Southern League Division One Central (att: 83)





The long road that was 2011, which began at Hendon v Harrow Borough and took in at least fifty three matches, ended at Berkeley Fields for the Middlesex derby in which United needed something to help in their fight against relegation.













I was on night shift, so this fixture with its relatively easy accessability fitted the bill perfectly. I arrived after a walk and then a couple of tube rides before I alighted at Sudbury Hill station. After a walk of around fifteen minutes I paid my £8 on the gate, plus another couple of quid for the slightly overpriced programme. I had been listening to the Manchester United v Balckburn Rovers game on my radio throughout my journey and entered the warm and friendly clubhouse to see the last few minutes while I enjoyed a shandy.













The clubhouse was one of the better ones I'd visited. If it had real ale, even if just in bottles, it would have been near on perfect. The service was hospitable and the decor top class. I particularly liked features such as the club mirror and carpet with the crest on it. There were also a good selection of signed shirts framed on the walls from various local clubs, as well as one from former youth player Sam Hurrell who was awarded a contract with Chelsea FC after winning Sky TV's Football Icon competition in November 2005.













After enjoying Rovers burst the Old Trafford bubble I ventured outside. Berkeley Fields was pretty similar to my previous visit, apart from the addition of a covered standing area behind the near goal alongside the seated stand. Other things I noted was that despite United playing in blue, all paintwork, fences and seats were green to fit into the relatively rural surroundings. The pitch also sloped from the top right hand corner right across the pitch. The playing surface was in decent condition, if a little bobbly in places.

The game got underway with Ashford kicking downhill with more of the possession in their excellent orange and white striped jerseys. United were being led by new boss Neil Shipperley for the first time. Judging by his waistline, it looked like he had given up his gym membership for the last couple of years. He made me look slim! His side had an occasional break, but the visitors were in general control. It came as no suprise when they went ahead following a short corner. Mark Bitmead was left unmarked to score with a fine diving header.













I had my usual walk around the ground before taking a seat behind the goal and observing an extremely passionate Town supporter. He had a lovely flag draped over the fence and stood alone barking out encouragement and advice to the officials, even if the incident occured at the far end. He never swore, and on one occassion he burst into a solo "C'mon Ashford" for a few seconds. For anyone who has seen the great Ripping Yarns episode Golden Gorden (and if you haven't I suggest you do), this supporter was like Gordon Ottershaw's southern nephew. If only all local clubs received more of this deserved support the world would be a better place.

I decamped to the clubhouse at half time to see the scores, which were going pretty well as far as my six team accumalator was concerned before sampling a cheeseburger and bovril for the combined price of £4.













I thought that Shipperley's half time team talk and the advantage of the slope may even the game up in the second half. United did have a bit more play, but Town were the better side. They continued where they left off, having already hit the woodwork twice in the first half. Greenford's keeper Aaron Bufton and his defenders were performing heroics as well as having more than their fair share of lady luck on their side. A second goal wouldn't go in.

Ashford's keeper Paul McCarthy had a dicy moment with a clearence but he recovered. A friendly away fan among around thirty fellow travellers, offered his tongue in cheek well dones as McCarthy muttered away and shook his head. A few home fans had now come to sit behind the goal. One lady was very loud with her friendly encouragement, especially to home centre forward Ricky Pither.

United had a few more breaks going forward, but Ashford still looked the more likely to add to their tally. Then the home side attacked and the ball went wide. It was immediately volleyed across the area where Pither slid in to equalise to much delight from the homesters next to me. The Ashford gent asked them to keep the noise down! It was met with a reply of "I'll be even louder when the second and third go in." It was a really nice environment to watch a game and North Greenford really struck me as being a real community club.













The framework of the home goal was hit another three times, but it was not to be for Town. News of Chelsea's shock home defeat to Aston Villa came in just before the final whistle at Berkeley Fields. Meanwhile Ashford would surely wonder for weeks to come how they didn't win the game. They looked a decent team. As far as North Greenford were concerned it looked to me that Shipperley had something to work with, but would need a couple of new signings.

By now I was excited about my fixed odds coupon. News of a late Swindon winner came in and I felt certain that William Hills would be paying me over £500. What a way to start the New Year I thought! Then just as I was boarding the number 92 bus back to Wembley the man presenting Radio Five brought me news I couldn't quite believe. MK Dons were three nil up at Brentford but had somehow thrown it away to draw. I later found out the equaliser was scored in the ninety second minute. I had been happier at times during 2011, shall we say! From five hundred smackers to nothing. I always did dislike that horrible franchise club.





My journey home was brilliant and even after going into Aldi in Kingsbury I was home before 6pm ready for a siesta before going to carry out my Dr Dolittle impersonations and talk to the animals while they celebrated New Year.

It had been a really good game to bring down the curtain on 2011. I really enjoyed the ambience at Berkeley Fields and wish them well in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment