Monday, February 6, 2012

Squires Gate



Squires Gate FC are a non league football club who emanate from the southern suburb of Blackpool in Lancashire. The club were formed as Squires Gate British Legion FC in 1948, playing local league football.

In 1953 the club changed to its present name and eight years later they joined the West Lancashire League. In 1991 'Gate' were admitted into the North West Counties League as their ground at School Road was upgraded.





Club Chairman Phil Days resigned from the club in June 2006 after his calls for near neighbours Gate, Blackpool Wren Rovers and Blackpool Mechanics (later AFC Blackpool) to amalgamate and form a club to push towards Northern Premier League status. 

Meanwhile Gate progressed gradually on the pitch to reach the league's top flight. The club narrowly avoided relegation at the culmination of the 2012-13 season.











Squires Gate FC will spend the 2013-14 season in the North West Counties League Premier Division.


My visit

Wednesday 1st February 2012

I woke in Blackpool rather earlier than intended on a crisp but stunning morning. After checking out of the Travelodge near to the Tower, I caught the number 17 bus towards Squires Gate. I alighted near The Shovels pub on Common Edge Road and instead of walking down to School Road I had found a path behind Bruce Park and then had a look at the adjoining home of Squires Gate.

I'd heard of near neighbour grounds before, but I'd never seen anything like this arrangement. The grounds were just separated by a fence down one side. The School Road ground was relatively basic, but it had all the facilities required for a club of Squires Gate's standing.











There was a low covered enclosure down the Wren Rovers side, a couple of small seated stands opposite and a small cover near to the clubhouse and changing rooms by the corner flag. There was a hard standing path all the way around the pitch next to the single rail pitch side fence and then flat open grass.











I walked right round the back of two sides of the ground, but there was no gates open for a closer look. I got a better view from the car park on School Road, which was busy with parents dropping off their youngsters for another day of learning. I was probably viewed with suspicion taking pictures, but I was as discreet as possible before going on my way to my next ground, the home of AFC Blackpool.





No comments:

Post a Comment