Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reading Town




Reading Town FC are a non league club from the county town of Berkshire, and not to be mistaken for their more illustrious neighbours Reading FC. They were formed in 1966 as Lower Burghfield FC and played local league football under several guises such as XL United FC, Vincents United FC, Reading Garage FC and ITS Reading Town FC.








In 1989 the club progressed to the Chiltonian League, where they enjoyed steady progress. In 1993 they took on their present title and moved to Scours Lane. In 1995 Town lifted the Premier Division title and won promotion to the Combined Counties League. They lifted the Berks & Bucks FA Senior Trophy three years later. Former England star Neil Webb had a spell as Manager during the 2000-01 season, but he could not replicate his success on the pitch.

For the start of the 2008-09 season, Town moved sideways in the football pyramid to take up a place in the Hellenic League. They added another county cup to their honours list soon after.








Reading Town will compete in the Hellenic League Premier Division in the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Tuesday 22nd May 2012

I had the day off after finishing my night shifts at work. Fixtures were very thin on the ground, but I spotted that the Reading Senior Cup Final was to be played at the Madejski Stadium. With that as my main focus I decided to pop into a couple of grounds before hand for some photo opportunities.








I had been to Burnham, from where I caught a bus to Maidenhead. I then boarded a train, which conveniently stopped at Tilehurst station, which was the nearest to Town's home ground. Originally I'd intended to walk there along the Thames path, but time would have been tight.








The walk along Oxford Road was pleasant enough before I turned down Scours Lane, which had light industry before the railway bridge. At the other side stood the ground entrance, but to my disbelieve all was locked up, with the metal railed perimeter fence a long way from the grounds walls. It looked like my only view was going to be the one I'd snatched when passing on the train.








I wasn't going to give in that easily so I set off down the lane to try and get in at the far end. It was flanked by a couple of kennels and a yard for a fairground rides. The Thames path was stunning scenery, especially on such a lovely afternoon, but it didn't offer me any access.

I walked back round and found the main gate was now open with a white transit van parked up near the ground entrance. The padlock wasn't shut but it held the gate closed. I went inside to find the groundsman painting the lines on the pitch. I shouted across and asked for permission to snap away, and he said it was fine.








Scours Lane was a pretty decent venue with lots of room, especially between the goal line and the fence around the pitch. The playing area looked large. At the entrance end stood the changing rooms, offices and a clubhouse. Along virtually the full width of the pitch there was a cover with a couple of steps of terracing, with two rows of seats towards one end. A small cover stood well back down one side, with a modern seated stand opposite it. The rest of the ground was made up of flat open grass and hard standing.

I said my thank you and made my way out to catch the number seventeen bus round the corner on the main road. I had intended to go to Palmer Park Stadium, the home of Highmoor Ibis, but I decided a pint and a meal was a far more sensible option.








I'm glad I made the effort to go out of my way to Scours Lane. Maybe I would return for an FA Vase game against Scarborough Athletic in the future?






No comments:

Post a Comment