Friday, August 10, 2012

Northampton Spencer



Northampton Spencer FC are a non league football club from the East Midlands town of Northampton. The club were originally known as Spencer School Old Boys by former members of the school team in 1936. The club played for several decades in local competition.












In 1968 Spencer joined the United Counties League, playing their home games at Dallington Park. After a couple of years they moved to Duston High School, before moving to a home of their own at Kingsthorpe Mill.

The club reached the Premier Division in 1972, but were relegated in 1980. Spencer regained their higher status five years later and going on to be crowned champions in the 1991-92 season. They finished runners up the following season and once again in 1998.












Spencer finished in seventeeth place at the end of the 2011-12 season, but took voluntary relegation.

Northampton Spencer FC will compete in the United Counties League Division One in the 2013-14 season.













My visit

Friday 3rd August 2012

I was in Northampton for the day to hopefully enjoy a day of county cricket at Wantage Road and to cheer on Yorkshire. I had visited Sixfields, the home of Northampton Town in the morning before heading to their former home for the cricket. Unfortunately the heavens opened just before lunch, so I was forced to take santuary in The Abington.

It was obvious that the weather wasn't going to relent in a hurry so I headed into town for lunch at The Eastgate. The sun had come back out, but through the beauty of Twitter I found out that there would be an inspection at 4.30pm back at The County Ground. There was only one thing to do!












I set off using my map app on my IPhone to head towards Kingsthorpe Mill. It was a lot further than I had anticipated, but I was more than happy to walk my food off. Eventually after a trek down Kingsthorpe Road and then cut through a hosing and light industrial estate to find Studland Road.

A lane led down from the road and round the corner past a practice pitch. The main gate was open as someone from the club was loading his car, probably for a game the following day. He was more than happy for me to go inside the ground and take some photos.












The venue was neat and tidy with a hard standing path all the way around. The far side of the pitch had the dug outs and banking behind with the main railway a bit further behind. The spectator facilities were all down the entrance side. A modern seated stand stood on the half way line, with the main clubhouse and changing room buildings further up filling the rest of the touchline. A overhang provided cover for those wishing to stand to watch the game.

I left and thanked my host, before catching a bus back to the utterly dismal Greyfriars Bus Station. I like a walk, but I wasn't doing that one again!






No comments:

Post a Comment