Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Teutonia 05 (Germany)





FC Teutonia Ottensen of 1905 eV, to give the club their full title were formed in 1905 in the Ottensen district of Altona in Hamburg in northern Germany. Ten original members formed the club in a beer hall.




Interest grew as the club entered the North German Football Association, moving to their first home; Hogen in 1910. After a couple of spells in the areas top level, they joined the Alster District League in 1928. Teutonia merged with Ottensen 07 during World War Two playing in local football.













The club dropped right down to the Unterklassigkeit, before re-emerging once again and working their way back to the sixth tier Landesliga. The club were making an appeal to have an artificial surface installed at their Holy Cross Church ground (officially called the Gottfried Tönsfeld Sports Field), so that their excellent work in developing youth sides would be rewarded and compliment the new changing rooms and clubhouse.

Teutonia 05 will play in the Landesliga Hammonia in the 2013-14 season.














My visit

Monday 28th October 2012

I had no intention of visiting Teutonia during my stay in Hamburg. To tell the truth I'd never even heard of them, until research in the excellent Mikrofon newspaper showed a picture of them in action in their previous days clash. I was on the final day of my adventures in Germany. I had enjoyed a superb time, but it appeared that I may need a return to cross off the many clubs I'd obviously overlooked.













The only reason I found the ground was because I'd mistakenly waited for a train to go to Altona 93 and then had to go by foot. I was going at quite a pace and looking all the time for a bus service that went near their home. Next to one stop was a poster for Teutonia match twenty four hours earlier. I was looking at my basic map of the area to see if it showed where the ground was. There was another poster at the end of the road, so I surely couldn't have been far away?

Unbelievably I turned the corner and there was the ground in front of me. The wire netting surrounding the basic venue allowed me to take my photos. The pitch was red cinder pitch, which explained the clubs desire to upgrade. There was a few steps of open terracing down either side of the pitch, with nothing behind the goal bordering Bleickenallee. The other end was the domain of the clubhouse and changing rooms. The entrance to the ground was on the corner of Holstentwiete and Hohenzollemring.













I continued along in search of Altona's fine Adolf-Jäger-Kampfbahn, but happy I'd found another venue on my way.







No comments:

Post a Comment