Monday, February 10, 2014

sv Blauw Geel ’38 (Holland)




sv Blauw Geel ’38 is an amateur football club from the town of Veghel, near Eindhoven in the west of The Netherlands. The club, which translated means ‘Blue Yellow’ were formed on June 21st 1938.



While the clubs history is difficult to detect, they are an amateur club of substance, being members of the top Sunday Hoofdklasse divisions for many years, with the supermarket giant chain Jumbo becoming partners.


sv Blauw Geel ’38 will play in Zondag (Sunday) Hoofdklasse B in the 2013-14 season.











My visit

Monday 20th January 2014

My final call before relaxing in Eindhoven, my overnight terminus on my travels around the football clubs of Holland saw me arrive on the outskirts of Veghel at the Hintelstraat stop, after taking the no.160 service from Uden.


 








I was taking the full advantage of the excellent 9292 travel app and my £5 daily unlimited internet on my phone. It had paid real dividends throughout my trip in terms of walking and time. My route to my destination took me by the side of several canals and new housing developments. I must confess that it was further than I thought, but I did take one last shortcut down a lane past several pitches and through some hazardous mud before finding the entrance to the Prins Willem Alexander Sportpark.











Although I was tired, weary and really struggling, the sight of a new ground of a decent standard added new enthusiasm to my body. The ground was naturally painted in blue and yellow and had a significant raised seated grandstand on the far side. The near touchline had a full length open terracing. There was a hard standing path all the way around the pitch and grass beyond. The clubhouse and changing rooms were behind the goal at the entrance end, with pitches of grass and artificial surfaces beyond to cater for all the many teams that represented the club.











My map didn’t massively comfort me when I saw how far it was to the town centre. However, someone was looking down at me, because I found the Middlegaal bus stop with the hourly 158 service due in three minutes. Needless to say I took that option! Even further luck fell my way as on arrival at the bus station, the Eindhoven service arrived.






No comments:

Post a Comment