Monday, October 22, 2012

Aylesbury





Aylesbury FC are a non league football club from the county town of Buckinghamshire, who were originally formed as Stocklake FC in 1930 who were formed by the workers of the Negretti and Zambra company, playing in local league football. The club played on the Stocklake Industrial Estate and became members of the Chiltern League in 1988.




Another local club Belgrave FC began life in 1983 by Jim Sullivan of Belgrave Road for his two sons along with his neighbours. By 1990 the club consisted of five youth teams and six years later it added two senior sides, all playing in local competition.

Both clubs merged to form Haywood United FC for the 2000-01 season after Haywood Way, where their ground was located. The club joined the Spartan South Midlands League and continued to develop by installing floodlights and gradually improve their home. Promotion to the leagues Premier Division was achieved at the end of the 2003-04 season.

At the start of the 2005-06 season the club changed their name to Aylesbury Vale FC to enhance their identity within the town and further afield. At the end of the 2008-09 season the club changed to Aylesbury FC with the aim of promotion and ground improvements. A proposed merger with Aylesbury United fell through.













The team reached the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round where they lost out to Wealdstone in front of a record crowd of 682 at Haywood Way. Joy was to follow at the end of the season as the Spartan South Midlands League title was lifted with promotion to the Southern League as a reward.

After a good debut season in their new surroundings, 'The Moles' struggled the following campaign. Former Football League striker Craig Faulconbridge was appointed as player manager for the 2012-13 season.

Aylesbury FC will compete in the Southern League Division One Central for the 2013-14 season.





My visit

Sunday 14th October 2012

It was a beautiful autumnul day and I was off work. I was suffering with back ache, but determined not to waste such good weather. A scan at the fixtures showed that Aylesbury United were at their shared home at Leighton Town in the FA Vase. I decided that as well as wanting to see their derelict Buckingham Road stadium, I could also have a good bracing walk and visit Aylesbury as well.

After an elongated train ride when I later found out that I'd paid more and taken more time than I really needed to, I got out at Aylesbury station and set out on a walk of around two miles to Haywood Way. It took me on busy dual carraigeways, which reminded me older versions of Crawley or Stevenage. The amount of traffic shocked me. I was of an age to remember when the local shop would close at midday on a Sunday and it was a day of rest. Now everybody was heading to retail estates on the edges of towns. I was not convinced it was an improvement.













Eventually I found Jackson Road and a few minutes later I was along the small cul-de-sac that was Haywood Close with the clubhouse at the end. Lots of junior players were coming out of the ground after collecting their gear following matches of their own. The gate being open gave me all the opportunity I required to pop inside for a look.

The ground was relatively basic with a seated stand in front of the clubhouse and a covered standing area at the near end. The rest of the ground consisted of flat open standing. There was room between the fence keeping the fans in and the actual metal tailed perimeter if demand or the money became available.




My timing was sublime as no sooner had I left and was taking my clubhouse photos, a gent came out and locked the ground for the day. I went on my way to the former home of 'The Ducks', feeling sorry and empathising for the now homeless club watching their junior rivals becoming the towns highest ranked side.







No comments:

Post a Comment