Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bentley Colliery




Bentley Colliery FC are a non league football club who are based in Bentley, which is a former mining village located two miles north of Doncaster in South Yorkshire. The current club were formed in 1976, although the history of the game in the village and the clubs competing is somewhat confusing.




A club of the same name was formed in 1922, competing in the Yorkshire League until 1961. Another club called Bentley Victoria appeared on the scene joining the Yorkshire League in 1973 before changing their name to Bentley Victoria Welfare two years later. They graduated through the divisions to reach Division One by 1980. In 1982 they became founder members of the Northern Counties East League, presumably playing on the same Welfare Ground as the current club? 














In 1987 Victoria Welfare disbanded, probably as a consequence of the pit closures like several other clubs. Colliery changed from being a Sunday team and eventually becoming members of the Doncaster & District Senior League, winning the title at the end of the 2000-01 season and winning promotion to the Central Midlands League.


Bentley Colliery FC will play in the Central Midlands League North Division in the 2013-14 season.














My visit

Wednesday 10th October 2012

I was in South Yorkshire, enjoying a day of groundhopping before heading off to support my team Scarborough Athletic at Barton Town Old Boys that evening. The train from my previous club Mexborough Town had despatched me in Doncaster, and I was soon on board a Bentley bound bus from Doncaster Interchange.













I was relieved as ever to find I'd got on the correct service. It dropped me right outside the locked gate to the Welfare Ground. This was of no problem as the ground was easily visible and I was able to take the photos I required.

It was a very basic venue if truth be told. There was one small covered stand for standing spectators on the half way line, with several huts alongside for offices and changing rooms. A railed fence surrounded the playing area. There were no floodlights.













A bus came along from the stop just up the road and took me back to Doncaster, so I could find the service heading to Dunscroft so I could call in on the home of Hatfield Main.






No comments:

Post a Comment